How Yoga Helps Calm Your Chakras
Do you ever feel like your mood and energy levels are simply all over the place, and you can't seem to relax? Maybe you have been recommended yoga, meditation or even reiki. These practices, especially meditation, will mention something called a "chakra", a meditation aid. Read on to find out how yoga helps calm your chakras and three poses that you can try at home!
What Is A Chakra and How Do They Work?
Chakra, meaning 'wheel' in Sanskrit, refers to the specific spiritual energy points within the body. It is believed that energy runs throughout your body, and harbours in certain areas. When the chakras are all open and aligned, energy is allowed to flow throughout the body. When a chakra is misaligned, due to emotional, mental and physical reasons, it can lead to other issues, including weakening of the immune system, physical, psychological and emotional problems. That's why balancing your chakras offers healing to the body. But when one chakra is blocked, your other chakras can also be affected, causing them to also go out of balance.
How Yoga Helps Calm your Chakras
There are seven main chakras within the body:
- The Root Chakra
- The Sacral Chakra
- The Solar Plexus Chakra
- The Heart Chakra
- The Throat Chakra
- The Third Eye Chakra
- The Crown Chakra
Each of these Chakras harbours a different area of the body, despite working in a group. To unblock a chakra and re-align your energy flow, there are a few things you need to know. Firstly, it is essential to be aware of each of your chakras and what they affect, so you can identify your specific blocked area.
Secondly, it may be useful to include yoga or meditation into your routine to reconnect with yourself and your surroundings. Yoga allows the movement of energy through your body, with each pose targeting a different area and your deep breathing encouraging this energy flow. Read on for three yoga poses that can help calm your Chakras.
3 Yoga Poses to Help Calm Your Chakras
Calm Your Chakras with the Tree Pose (Root Chakra)
- Begin by standing with your feet hip-width apart.
- Exhale and bring your right foot to the inside of your left thigh, engaging your left thigh to stabilise you whilst keeping your knees soft.
- Keep holding this position for about 5 breaths, pressing through your left foot, before switching sides and repeating this pose on the other side.
Calm Your Chakras with the Camel Pose (Heart Chakra)
- Start on your knees on the floor, sitting back on your heels.
- Put your hands together at the base of your spine (sacrum), and tuck your toes in to allow the upper half of your body rise, so you are no longer sitting on your heels.
- Put your palms on your lower back, fingers pointing upwards. Gently move your upper body back and downwards, with your head tucked into your chest, but moving towards your feet, breathing slowly as you do so.
- Once comfortable, release your head, and you may also touch your heels with your hands.
- Take a few deep breaths in this position, before bringing your hands back to the centre of your lower spine and sitting back on your heels.
- Repeat a few more times.
Calm Your Chakras with the Corpse Pose (Crown Chakra)
- Lie comfortably on the floor or on a mat.
- Opening your legs hip width apart, move your arms to your side and have your palms facing up.
- Whilst taking a deep breath in, squeeze every part of your body tight, and lift your arms, legs and head off the floor.
- Hold this position for a moment, breathing out of your mouth slowly.
- Repeat this several times, relaxing and letting go of everything as you exhale.
Get Your PAWS on A Mat
Do you feel like your Chakras need calming? Designed with high-performance in mind, we recommend our Yogi Bare PAWS mat. The perforated natural rubber has an incredible grip and helps with sweat flow. Not only are they 100% vegan, but our mats are incredibly stylish!